Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thucydides 2

I have spent more time than I should working on intelligent reflections upon Thucydides. Reviewing is not my most notable skill.
But I want to take a stab at it because I am becoming hungry to get more out of some of these brilliant books I'm flying through.

I feel that I am not doing them justice when I just say, "I'm done with another masterpiece, on to the next one..." as I rush into a completely different book with hardly a moment to adjust.

Almost daily I think that I want to spent next year re-reading the best 50 of the books from this year.

(And, if I am completely transparent, I have to say that seeing Tim Challies among my commenters on Sunday made me feel that I must sit up a little straighter and take this blog more seriously, for a minute....I'm o.k. now.)

But, the silver lining is this.....Lord willing, I will live another year, and during that year, I plan to re-read many of these books, and to do a more careful and thorough job. The exposure to all this great literature and history is such fantastic brain fertilizer!

I promised some intelligent thoughts on this current book, and I promised they would be done by midnight. But I have deleted that post, and will instead give you an excerpt from my e-mail to the lovely Lori in Boise, who is reading Thucydides too.
This really sums up what I am thinking as I come near the end of the book:

"It's so much like Herodotus in some ways. Loads of quarrels and wars between so very many kings of so very many smallish places. Lots of brutality and sorrow. I have thought that SOME people would read it and say, "how wonderful that we aren't like that any more. How marvelous that we have evolved beyond such behaviour." But the rest of us would just shudder at the sinfulness of man.
We really need a saviour!"

What a mercy, we have one!

1 comment:

Davo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.