I did a bit of plodding through The Making of the Atomic Bomb Book on Saturday afternoon.
I am so glad this book is on my list. I have never had a proper understanding of the devotion scientists feel for their work. I know I'm married to a scientist, but to me he's a well rounded human. I have wondered about the guys who appear to live for science, and there are many of them, it turns out.
I have wondered what steps are involved in moving a scientist, a lab-bound physicist even, into government and defense work.
And how do they reflect upon seeing their scientific work turned to saving lives or perhaps even killing people?
But there is much more than that in this book. The history, the economics, a view into the lives of these guys who are off the charts smart....
Reading this one is a huge project, but I highly recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment