Saturday, March 7, 2009

The iPod Playlist...Audience Participation requested

OK readers, I know you are out there, and now I need your help.

I'm working on the all-important iTunes play list to carry me through long training runs and then the marathon. This is because I do not have a running partner anymore.....a great sorrow to me.
My iPod is my buddy on the road now.

My list is just started, and so far it includes some Soveriegn Grace Praise and worship music, with some old favorites of mine from The Talking Heads,

Pink Floyd's Run, Run Run song, (which I think might be actually called run like hell or something dark.)
Led Zeppelin's Kashmir,
The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony,
a couple of Dire Straights songs,
some REM,
the Cars My Best Friend's Girl, and maybe something else from that Candy O album
The Kinks, James Brown, the Killers
a good bit of Coldplay
and even though I hate their politics, the Dixie Chicks are on there, as well as Foo Fighters.
there is even a B52's song on the list.

But I need many many more. Like, I need 200 songs.

I find I cannot run to rap music as it throws off my heart-rate and I think could potentially kill me.
Classical and Jazz and any Scandinavian music with wacky rythm changes don't work here.
I haven't even started to look at Blues music, but I know there's plenty of Blues I could run to.

I am looking for some great input here.
If you can think of music that's good to run to....to dance to maybe, something uplifting, that will bring back groovy memories, anything!
Leave me a comment.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few ideas:

Check out the INXS album "Kick"...there are some good songs there.
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm
Anything from ACDC
Eurythmics.Sweet Dreams especially
Linkin Park. They would have good music for working out.
Do you know the band The English Beat? they have a song called Save it for Later.
Good Luck!!!
You are such a funky mom!

Scott G. said...

Seems like Bruce Springsteen "Born to Run" would have to be on the list.

Anonymous said...

How about Soweto Gospel Choir for something funky and African?

Joshua Radin, Josh Ritter or Ingrid Michaelson if you want to go mellow and "Americana."

Matt Nathanson if you want something "pop."

Hawk Nelson or Capital Lights if you want something upbeat that you wouldn't mind your kids listening to.

The GooGoo Dolls if no one is looking.

Needtobreathe just because they're so darn good.

Dad24treasures said...

Don't mock me for this, but I used to like to run to Abba, and Amy Grant's album that starts with the song, "Baby, Baby . . ." ;) (Ahhh, I know -- you didn't know I used to run;) Never quite as ambitiously as you, though:)(In fact, never NEARLY as ambitiously as you:)You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey, i remember in your boston days when you used to run to some African tape on your walkman.
Misa Luba?
Soweto Gospel Choir sounds like the group for you!

Anonymous said...

...you were looking for running songs (from your blog). Here are some of my favourites.

*Note: lyrics aren’t guaranteed not to offend. The songs simply get you through your run, not enhance your spiritual life. ;)

Warm Up
Glen Hansard — Falling Slowly & All the Way Down
Linkin Park — Leave Out All the Rest
Verve Pipe — The Freshman

Run
Mika — Grace Kelly & Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)
Black Eyed Peas – Pump It and Let’s Get it Started
Coldplay – When I Ruled the World
Fergie -- Big Girls Don’t Cry
Green Day — Time of Your Life
Eminem — Lose Yourself
Nelly Furtado — Ching Ching & Give it to Me
Nickelback — Rockstar
Run DMC — It’s Tricky & Mary, Mary & It’s Like That & Walk This Way
Superchick — We Live & Highschool & Perfect Day
Third Eye Blind — Semi-Charmed Life
Crazy Frog — I Like to Move It
Smash Mouth — I’m a Believer & All Star
TLC — No Scrubs
Toby Mac — Hush Little Baby
Tone Loc — Wild Thing & Funky Cold Medina
Usher — Yeah
Young MC — Busta Move
311 — All Mixed Up
Everlast — What It’s Like
REM — It’s the End of the World
Rob Base & DJ Easy Rock — It Takes Two & Joy and Pain

Cool Down
Damien Rice — Cold Water
Glen Hansard — Lies & Leave
Daniel Powder — So You Had a Bad Day

Other Artists I Like
Josh Groben & Neil Diamond

Christian Artists I Like
Third Day
Tenth Avenue North
Casting Crowns
Tim Hughes
KJ 52
Toby Mac

Katie said...

I am on a Casting Crowns kick. Their stuff has a good beat and is extremely uplifting :). Other stuff:
Caedmon's Call
Nickel Creek
Chris Tomlin

These three have some fast tempo-ed and some slower stuff, so maybe skip the slow stuff. Happy running! :)

Anonymous said...

These are excellent!
Thanks for your help, and keep it coming!

Audrey said...

Okay... this is hard. I checked through my playlist and didnt find much that you would enjoy so I branched out a bit.

Natasha Bedingfeild: Unwritten
Lady gaga: Just dance? (you probably wont like it but I do)
The la's: There she goes.
I will give you more later...

Scott G. said...

Caralyn's suggestions made me want to get off the couch, buy an ipod, read a hundred books and run a marathon. Truely inspired suggestions.

Holly said...

Hi Missy,

Have you checked out Podrunner on iTunes? They are free podcasts of about an hour of music by DJ someone or other and you can download based on your target heartrate. Makes you feel like you're at a nightclub so it depends on what mood you're in. Worth a try since they are free :)

Davo said...

ok, I have a long list. you may not like all these songs, and I tried to avoid the cruder songs. still, a good beat sometimes means bad lyrics, so you may catch something I missed.
Here go's:
The Dave Matthews Band: American Baby

The Killers: change your mind, somebody told me

Kelly Clarkson: ?My life would suck without you?

State of Shock: Money Honey

Nickleback: they have lots of good, up beat music, but I recomend If today was your last day

Bedouin Soundclash: Walls fall down

Death cab for cutiE: GrapevineFires your new twin sized bed

coldplay: speed of sound, and Viva La Vida (many other cold play songs, as well, but these are the best)

Hedley: Handgrenade, Narciccist, dear ______

Matthew Good: born losers

slow runner: the stakes were raised

feist: I feal it all

(unknown artist): Ghost

Plain white Ts: hey there Delilah

City and Lights: That Girl

talking heads: stay up late

Hanz Zimmer: Now we are free.

I'll also make some songs on garage band for you. what is your goal running speed?

Davo said...

Caralyn has some good ones, too:
Daniel powter: bad day (although the beat may be a little too shifty for you)

Greenday: good riddance (or time of your life. you'll be able to find it if you use good riddance, because that's what the song is named)

and of course, Viva la vida (or when I ruled the world.)

Anonymous said...

I probably should have read all of the songs listed above first and don't know all the artists names, but here's a few ideas. I'll tell Joel to bring his pc to R.I. He;'s got a great collection of music files.

Life is a Highway
Route 66 (I know there's an upbeat version--original may be too slow)
Soundtrack of Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Mama Mia (I think they're mostly all ABBA, anyway)
Elvis Costello-early, nice punky pace
to be continued. . .