It was my intention to read Idols for Destruction, The Godly Man's Picture, and A House for Mr. Biswas, and then to come home and have a little operation.
Instead, I have read all but the last two chapters of Idols for Destruction, all of The Godly Man's Picture, and in a fit of compassion I loaned Mr Biswas to Virginia who was in need of something to read in the English language during her two weeks of Norwegian immersion.
I replaced it with The House of Mirth, which I just finished, and I am now reading a book which is not on the list at all, but will fall under the heading of "Book-Club requirements" and that is Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.
And instead of getting rid of my gall bladder, I got the miserable flu, and so they refused to remove any organs from me. I'll try again of Feb 2.
Idols for Destruction is really an outstanding book, but not one to be read while on an airplane with a child in your lap. This one requires few distractions and an acute mind. I'm finishing it on Saturday.
I've got some good nuggets from The Godly Man's Picture, which I'll post here as soon as I track down the book, which went missing in the general confusion of unpacking and the flu.
Edith Wharton was such a talented writer, and House of Mirth is both thought provoking and at times tedious. It's interesting to study the conflicting impulses and aspirations of Lily Bart, but it was a bit too much of the lives of the wealthy, competitive and shallow elite of New York, and reading it reminded me that I am so glad to have the life I have. Still, it was a good read, but not one I will pick up twice.
Can't say much about Three Day Road, except, so far so good.
Now, even though I have added two books in, I'm still aiming to have all the first ten done by January 31.
Running is nonexistent, by the way. I hauled my shoes, tights and stunning black cap to Norway, but between the cold, darkness, coughing and jet-lag, I never once hit the road.
I was also a bit fearful that, after returning from a run, I might not get a shower, as there were fifteen of us sharing one and a half bathrooms. In perfect harmony, remarkably.
2 comments:
I was waiting for the story about Helen's terrorist stunt at airport security....please tell it.
Helen did a great immitation of Jeff Dunham's Achmed the Dead Terrorist while in a passport check line in Munich. It caught the attention of a few American soldiers in line, but otherwise, it went unnoticed.
Funny and benign.
There was also a knife in my camera bag at Heathrow, and Maggie dumping a fistfull of change into her footy jammies just as we arrived at security, so we had to undress her entirely inorder to dig the coins out of her diaper and clothes just at that conjested and irritable pileup of conveyer belts, shoes and men removing belts.
Post a Comment