Monday, January 12, 2009

Looking back at my list of the First Ten to be read, I see that all that's left on that bunch is a House for Mr. Biswas.

As soon as I finish Three Day Road, I'll get to Mr B.

And by the way, Three Day Road is so far, at page 200, a very compelling book. A little gruesome.....some WWI scenes which are quite vivid. Written from the perspective of Cree Indians in Canada, one of whom served in the Canadian army. Yet another really good piece of Canadian fiction.

I have read almost all of Genesis through Joshua, which was also on the list. The Isrealites have killed just about everyone in the Promised Land.
We were talking about this at breakfast, what must it have been like for them to kill all those people.....and at the same time to be seeing that God was continually faithful to keep every promise to them. It would be such a mind-altering and perspective changing experience, and best I can determine, the wiping out of all those cities happened over the course of a year or two. Maybe somebody else has better information than me.

I am going to take a couple of days and get my head around David's new Logic text, and also get everybody going in Latin again. And then there's Spanish.......
Then I'll dive into the next set of ten books.

I must say that my cheating head-start on these books last October is really paying off.
I have failed to mention before that these 100 books are to be complete by American Thanksgiving. At least 99 of them anyway.
I will not have a nagging list of books distracting me from Christmas or even Advent next year. December is too full as it is.

It would be nice to have ONE BOOK left to read for the month of December. In front of the fire with a little glass of port and no pressure, when the kiddies are asleep. I would ask people to look at my list and make suggestions for what book I should save for that last delicious relaxing one.

And now, I am off for the first run of the year. The flu is gone, I'm back in action.

Oh....Jeanine Simpson and I did some trouble shooting on the "comments" problem the other day, and here is what we discovered:
If you attempt to leave a comment, and the blog tells you :
Your request could not be processed. Please try again.
Just click on Submit One more time , and your comment will post.
So I guess when they say Please try again, that's exactly what is meant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for "Death Comes for the Archbishop" as your last book. It will be relaxing and satisfying and not add to your pressure.