OK, Holly, I am all excited to read Howard's End now. It's because of your Margaret and Helen tip.
I have two bookclubs this week, and then I need a couple more days to get a handle on some school stuff.
But I will start Howard's End by Saturday, and have it done by the following Friday. Also reading at the same time A House for Mr. Biswas, which I just cannot get into for some reason.
Running, for anyone who cares.....I think someone should market a line of way cute super warm running socks and some kind of attractive and flexible duct-type tape for insulating the tops of running shoes in radical winter. I have two ultra sensitive toes on my left foot which were frost bitten last year, and I still have the darndest time keeping them warm when it's colder than -10. I don't have a minute to spare for starting up a line of running foot gear, but maybe someone else does.
Still, there is nothing.....or at least there are very few things.....as satisfying as (after getting through the first miserable 15 minutes) a run in the winter when it's dangerously cold and you are the only one on the road, the only sound being that weird duck-quacking squeak of your shoes on the snow. Simple pleasures.
5 comments:
Hi Missy,
I have just started Howards End for two reasons
1) Your timeline scared me a bit and I thought I should get going as I may be a bit rusty
2) I have a nasty cold and my back is sore- so I am spending some time in bed (a bit of whining there).
I thought I would be reading it with a more cynical eye this time around, the story of two priviledged women and thier idealism. Not so; I am already absorbed. Maybe it is how Forster writes.
A couple of things that stuck out for me that I enjoyed in the first 26 pages. In the very first chapter, as Helen describes Howards End to her sister, she writes about Mrs. Wilcox "and I never saw anything like her steady unselfishness, and the best of it is that the others do not take advantage of her. They are the very happiest, jolliest family that you can imagine". And I thought that it sounded like the Weens (not that I am comparing you to Mrs. Wilcox). I thought it sounded very nice, anyway.
The second part I enjoyed was Forsters idea of the magic of romantic encounters. Now and again, I get to wondering at all the time and energy that is spent during our youth on romance and human relationships (Forster calls them human collisions). Really, it occupies a lot of time and looking back most of it is actually quite silly. But then Forster writes that by these collisions "the doors of heaven may be shaken open". I feel content with that.
So let me know when you start reading!
Holly...
It's off the shelf, and ready to be opened tonight.
I had a little dental surgery today, and am whining pretty loudly myself.
I can see you will be a great person to read with, so I'm all excited to catch up to you....where are you now?
Maybe when we're done we can celebrate by watching the movie at my house.
I'll see if the library can get it.......
Thanks for liking us so much, I am blushing.
And anyway, you're such an over achiever.....
and I say that with complete respect and awe.
How many people with twin babies are reading anything other than the Kraft Dinner box?
Hi,
I've only read to the end of chapter 8. And I am really liking Margaret. The thing she said about "those who prepare themselves for all the emergencies of life" and her little bit about how to go about life- at the very end of ch. 8 - I love all that. Forster has such empathy. I am a little disappointed in myself for not really "getting" Len and Jacky. I think they scare me and maybe that is the intention (?).
I've never seen the movie and would LOVE to watch it with you - heaven!
I'm having trouble getting my reply to stick here. Next time I do a blog, it'll be easier to post a commment!
Anyhoo....what I have been trying to say to you is that, due to the hole in my jaw I took painkillers last night, and then rolled right off to sleep. So I am just at the end of Ch 2, way behind you....but I also like Margaret. I do envision Emma Thompson, as I have seen the movie...but it was perfect casting.
The movie will be fun. And anybody reading within driving distance, please join us.
Post a Comment