Add another book to the list........ The next book to be read under the heading of "Bookclub Requirements" will be Anne Enright's The Gathering.Anybody outside the Whitevale bookclub interested? It's to be read by March 21, plenty of time.
It's a Man Booker award winner. About an Irish family, sounds like a child is lost in the story.
I am now finishing Howard's End, which is such a delightful book. Of the eleven or so I have finished on my list, it is the one I have enjoyed the very most. Not a grind to get through at any point, just pleasant reading. I have loose ends to tie up with Ulysses and The Iliad, I will read the Odyssey with the kids over the next few weeks, and I am giving up on A House for Mr. Biswas for now, and saving him for some relaxing summer afternoon.
I should mention that Ulysses is being read for a crazy splinter group of our bookclub, and we are taking it so slowly that we don't expect to finish until June. We want to make T-shirts, and we're not a very organized splinter group, so we need plenty of lead time to get sizes from everybody, agree on a color, and worst of all....design the logo.
2 comments:
Oh dear. It is exactly as I feared; I only got an hour in to read all weekend and now your pace of reading has outstripped mine. I only just passed the part where everything begins to get really muddled- Basts, Wilcoxes and Schlegels all together in the drawing room at Wickham Place, with terrier puppies nipping and jumping at them! It would be spectacular to see dramatized - I hope it is part of the movie.
Howards End is a pleasant read - just as you posted. I was thinking that after the other books you have been chewing your way through this one would go down like cotton candy. I am enjoying it, too.
Holly.....I haven't finished, I'm not really much ahead of you. And it's not a race!
And, I don't have twins.....
I am so glad you are enjoying this book. You picked a good one.
I have located a copy of the movie, but it's not in my house yet.
If it's here next Tuesday, would you like to come see it on Tues or Weds evening. Or even Thursday? Late afternoon might even work.
I am FLEXIBLE.
I've got this tiresome gall bladder coming out Monday, and I will be staying home for a few days.
(Daniel told a friend I'm getting my fan belt removed.)
I don't remember the puppies from the movie.
The movie is really good, but the book is better I think. Isn't that how it goes!
Post a Comment