So, last night, Jon and I went for a nice dinner on Elm St across from the Delta Chelsea, and then walked down to the Rex for some jazz. And we saw a bunch of old Boston friends in the DC lobby, and that was fun.
But the thing I wanted to write about is what happened at the Rex when we put my copy of Ulysses on the table.
Jon and I were seated at a long table, and next to me was a burly tattoed biker dude, wearing all leather except for the British flag which was tied in reverse "Aunt Jemima" style around his shaven head. He was big and a bit frightening. Please close your eyes now and paint a vivid picture of him in your mind.
When he saw Ulysses he said, in the very deep voice I expected to come from that face, "Oh, are you reading that?" A conversation ensued in which he revealed that he has read everything Joyce has written, and he knew just a ton about Joyce's personal life and his ambitions when he wrote the Dedalus trilogy. He was actually quoting to me poetry and riddles from the book and citing their sources outside of Joyce.
This is a biker with a photographic memory, I think......a shocking amount of information that I have just picked up regarding Joyce and his work just flowed from this guy, like he was a lit professor.
He went on to tell me he was a great fan of Thomas Hardy and all Victorian literature. Tess of the D'Urbervilles is his favorite book.
I told Jon that if I had been asked to pick out the Victorian literature fans in the room, Biker Man would have been the first one I eliminated.
Audrey says that if Jon hadn't been there with me to verify my story, she would think I was making it up.
So, there you go. You really can't judge a book by it's cover.
The music was really great, too. John Stetch......and a bunch of horn players.
11 comments:
Ahh, The Rex, love that place. Jimmy and I were thinking of it for his birthday today...
What a story.
Well, I have started reading. So far so good.
I am lost in admiration here! I notice that you doing my favourite thing (reading) and my least favourite (running). I admire your ambition with some of those titles! Would love to (re)read Howards End with you - love that book but can't remember most of it (actually don't remember much these days). You are inspiring me (to get back to reading - NOT running) and I love your stories on your blog. You are amazing!
Holly.....
I will put your name down for Howard's End. It is great to read with someone, and nobody is down for that one yet.
How about if I put in on my second set of ten, meaning it will be read in February.
I am not amazing.
Jess....
How is the book? You are ahead of me there.
In Jess's words...ahh, the Rex, love that place. The whole Robinson clan are fans of the Rex with the exception of Julia I guess. We should head down together some night:)
The book is good so far. I like the way she writes. It's very easy to read.
Here's something funny Jess,
nobody in this house can find my copy of that book. Isn't that a riot.
When it does turn up, we'll trade it to you for the library copy, then you don't have to fret over getting it turned it.
Kathy, let's plan an evening at the Rex....husbands included.
Sure missy, I'll trade you for your copy when you find it.
Maybe we can swap husband schedules tomorrow:) I see the Rex in our near distant future.
what a riot, Missy! I would love to have observed how you kept your sweet composure as your brain tried to unite what you saw and what you heard! LOL
Post a Comment