Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dearie, My Mother

My mom was here for the month of September, going home yesterday to our great sorrow.

While I was driving home from the airport, I thought maybe I should say something here about her, because she is very precious to us.

Her name is Helen, but now that she's a grandmother, most people call her Dearie. A more appropriate name could hardly be found for her.

Twenty months ago, Mom had a stroke from which she was not expected to recover. We were told that the best we could hope for would be for her to be in a wheelchair, perhaps not able to communicate or to feed herself......on and on, it was a bleak picture.

My brother declared that he would pray for a full recovery for her. I didn't have the same confidence he did. I could only see the size of the deficits she had, but Roy could understand the power of the God who can heal.
And what has followed has been such a beautiful unfolding of a miracle of healing. She is now so far beyond what anyone might have hoped for in terms of recovery, we are all amazed. She takes care of all her own needs, and is able even to manage quite well flying from her home to mine.
She's acutely interested in the current financial crisis in the US, and follows it daily with great understanding.
She also thinks it's unfortunate that Sarah Palin said 'doggone it' as "that certainly isn't very statesman-like".
She has a marvelous sense of humor, and she is a delight.

My favorite thing of all is to watch her with our little Maggie. Maggie was only a couple of weeks old when Mom had that stroke, and I was certain that they would never know each other. But they are great friends now. The two of them spent many mornings together studying the squirrels in the yard, and it was a joy to watch.

Mom loved to read , she always had a book or two going. She lost that ability with the stroke, and is working to learn again. So she and 9yr old Helen read "Black Beauty" together, and that was such a great milestone for them both!

Much to be thankful for!
We will be glad to get her back for a month in the spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to get to meet your Mum, she's amazing. I wish she could have stayed.

Missy said...

I feel the same as you, Jess. Thanks.

As for E, S and L, the book, I got it at a Barnes and Noble in Pennsylvania. It's available from Amazon, too.
I will ask my darling Audrey, who is standing next to me, if she can find it at the Pickering Pub library. She's got the inside track there.

David said...

Hi Jess this is audrey,
Mom asked me to find the book Eats, shoots and Leaves at the library for you. I've requsted it so we will let you know when I get it. (: