Well, I read through this blog, and noticed that I whine some about being overwhelmed. What a shock!
And I can truly say that my life is just full enough, no thanks for more.....
Which is not something to whine about. So, as a remedy to the whining, I decided to NOT read Wodehouse, and pulled out Jeremiah Burroughs instead.
And this is the thing that I was encouraged by the most:
"A carnal heart thinks, 'I must have my wants made up or else it is impossible that I should be content.' But a gracious heart says, 'What is the duty of the curcumstances God has put me into? Indeed, my circumstances have changed, I was not long since in a prosperous state, but God has changed my circumstances. The Lord has called me no more Naomi but Mara. Now what am I to do? What can I think now are those duties that God requires of me in the circumstances He has now put me into? Let me exert my strength to perform the duties of my present circumstances. Others spend their thoughts on things that disturb and disquiet them, so that they grow more and more discontented. Let me spend my thoughts in thinking what my duty is, what is the duty of my present curcumstances which I am in?'"
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment p.17
So, keeping in mind that my thoughts are not to be on things that disturb and disquiet me, and remembering to delight in Christ, I will go attend to my duties, and find some peace there.
4 comments:
Love that quote missy. I read that book a few years ago but I may have to re-read it with you.
Missy, you have no idea what a blessing your words were. The Lord knew I needed to here them right now. Thank you for sharing what was on your heart, it was a great encouragement to me!
That is SO ENCOURAGING!
I've never read this book, but I think that I shall. What a great quote! I know that I only have two kids, but things have rapidly changed from the realm of "wants" to "duties." But you and the author are right, there is peace and contentment to be found in that (if we're doing it for Christ). I had just never thought about it so clearly.
It is an amazing book.
This is my third time through, and every time I find new things I failed to see before.
Jennifer and April, I am so glad to see you ladies here. Jess, I'm always glad to see you.
Post a Comment