I'll try to keep this brief, as I'm sure that this will be the first post of many on this topic.
I want to begin this series by mentioning that once, when I was 21 years old, I made kind of a passionate declaration to a friend of mine that I would never marry a man who was a better cook than I was. That was a really stupid thing to say, and it shows what a moron I was at that time.
So, eight years later, I married a man whose culinary abilities outstrip my own by such a tremendous margin, that my kitchen pride is obliterated. But I don't mind, and I really enjoy it when he cooks!
He will prepare a lovely crown roast of beef for Christmas Eve, and I only have to fix up the supporting side-dishes.
And this year for Christmas Day in the evening, he decided to cook us a goose.
There has been a great deal of fanfare and nervous preparation for this goose.
And to make it more interesting, our neighbor, David, who is also a master chef, will be cooking his own goose (goose #2) and bringing it over to share with us. So we will have 11 people and two geese at the table.
(And two big dogs under the table in eager anticipation.)
Now, anyone who knows men who cook already guessed that this "Goose Sharing" has become a friendly neighborhood cooking competition.
I ran out on Thursday and grabbed a gorgeous organic frozen goose, thinking "We're ahead....." only to arrive home and meet neighbor David who had just negotiated with a farmer for a fresh goose. He mentioned casually that his goose was still walking around as we were speaking.
This looks like it will be some more good fun to come, and I have my eyes peeled for juicy tidbits to share.
If anyone is reading this blog and knows anything at all about cooking a goose, please leave a post with any good ideas you might have. We are reading cookbooks and websites and planning our strategy.
And our side-dishes.

5 comments:
Oh yeah, I've had my goose cooked many times. And I wasn't so flimsy at cooking the geese, so to speak, of a few kids around here back in the day.
Is that what you're asking about?
What'll be the side dishes?
I am making a butternut squash compote which should be nice with the apple, fennel and walnut stuffing, and also a salad of bitter herbs with carmellized pinenuts and pomegranate and goat cheese.
I want to make a grilled eggplant thing with a ton of garlic, but it appears that nobody but me wants to eat it.
I can bet you did cook some gooses at your house, and that's why they turned out so well.
Tell the doctor to leave the head on!
It's too late Paul, BOTH heads are off now!
Hi there. Things look awesomely delicious here. I think you must be a fantastic cook. Wow. Very impressive. I am now your loyal follower. If you ever have a spare minute, come visit my blog at www.samwich365.com. I would be honored to have you visit/comment or best of all follow. Happy New Year. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)
Post a Comment