Saturday, October 24, 2009

Marathon moment to moment countdown....are you bored yet?

I have a gigantic jacuzzi in my room.
And a glorious view of the falls, right out my window.
It's just beautiful and SO VERY QUIET!
And the weather for the race is supposed to be clear, cool and perfect.
I am appropriately nauseous and nervous.

I went to pick up my race number and the microchip timing device which is now attached to my right shoe.
I had marched up to the race Expo event fully expecting that I would be the very largest and least likely looking marathoner there, but I actually found a couple of people like me. That was encouraging.
I also met one lady with five kids who started running when she weighed 200 pounds, and she now looks like Pamela Anderson in a bra top and running skirt. And while I have never weighed 200 pounds, I have also never resembled Pamela Anderson, even in the dark. So she was kind of inspirational in a certain way.

I have to say right now that I really don't want to ever do a marathon alone again. Training alone was lonely. I have always, in years past, had someone to train with so I do know the difference. I found that I was hungry for some good running-chat today and I enjoyed that very much.

Meanwhile, I wonder, how many other late forties mothers of six are holed up at this high-rise casino hotel, knitting and programming their GPS running watches as they prepare themselves to tough it out through any of tomorrow's various races.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Missy, you are AWESOME! And inspiring :). Did you know you inspired me to get a double jogging stroller? Well, I did...at this point I can jog about 2 blocks before I need to walk. But at least I'm getting out and exercising.
You will do great tomorrow!

Graceful Oven said...

Missy you never cease to amaze me and make me laugh. I will be thinking about you tomorrow..cant wait to read all about it.

Miss. Alliteration said...

I'd bet there are NO other late forty's mothers-of-six marathon runners sitting in that hotel. At least not ones who are knitting! Isn't it amazing to be at this point, Missy? I'm very excited that you've even come this far - and looking forward to rejoicing that you cross the finish line, the Lord willing:)!
Lori

Mandi said...

Wishing you the best! You are incredible. I hope your time is one that pleases you!

EmilyW. said...

I'm praying for you! I've been walking on the treadmill *finally* for 30 mins. a day. You've been an inspiration! Go, go, go! :)