Monday, April 6, 2009

The Peace Bridge....and bridge phobia

Here is the Peace Bridge, which spans the Niagara River from Niagara Falls to Buffalo.

Raise your hand if you've driven across it!

I've printed up the map of my planned marathon next fall (below), which shows that this bridge is on the course. The bridge represents the only real change in elevation on the entire course of the marathon, something like 20 meters.....and it's a relatively quick "up" and "down."

I am blogging about this bridge, because I happen to have developed a white-knuckled terror of bridges in my advancing years. There is no rational explanation for it, but when I get up on a bridge in a car, I am nearly certain that I will faint and then we will plunge straight through the guardrail, and sink to the bottom. I have an idea I might feel much the same when on a high bridge on foot.

I understand that the current of the Niagara River here is something like 12mph.
Isn't that strong?

I realize I've got to just get over this problem, so that I can get over this bridge.

With that in mind, I'm embarking on a "bridge desensitization" program for the next 200 days. I'm hunting for scarey high bridges to run across.


Once again, audience participation would help, if you know of any high bridges over which I can run....bridges which do not cross any international borders are preferred. I can easily do a bridge in the GTA, we've got a trip planned to PEI this summer....and maybe there are even bridges between here and there that I could run across, plus we're in New Hamshire and Vermont in a few weeks. Hunting for high frightening bridges all the way.

Gee, this map is really tiny.....grab your magnifying lense.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy,
I don't know of any good big bridges around here;but I know that the Confederation Bridge in P.E.I is really long and high and would be great prep for the one in the race. I will keep looking for others as I"m driving. You are amazing;just amazing!:) Hope you had a good day today;sad to hear about Daniel's foot;but I have to say,I had an enjoyable time reading of his adventures far and away.:)
Hope things are going well;see you Lord willing on Wednesday!

missy said...

Yikes, April, I just saw a photo of this bridge. I guess if I can get across that, I can do anything.
It's inspirational to think you have such confidence in me.