Today is called Good Friday, because we are remembering the good work of Christ as he took our punishment on the cross.
I am thankful for this opportunity to slow down and reflect on the suffering of Christ. I'm thankful that businesses are closed in Canada, and that we have a service to attend this evening with others who understand the significance of this day.
Last night, Jon turned on Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ, and some of us watched it. I find it is an agonizing film to get through. But it is a wrenchingly vivid picture of the torments which we deserve, but were taken on by an innocent saviour. Whatever anyone may think of this film, it does an excellent job of graphically showing the sin of mankind, our failure to recognize our savior even as he stands before us, and how great was the price Jesus bore for our redemption.
We have read the accounts from Luke 22 & 23 and Matthew 26 & 27 today. In those chapters, it's stunning to see how governing officials, high priests, scribes and elders, soldiers and crowds upon crowds of onlookers failed to recognize that he was who he said he was.
Instead they lied about him , accused him, tortured him and ridiculed him. Then they killed him.
The same is true today. My prayer is that I will be enabled to see Christ as he is, tell people who he is in a way that is faithful to the truth, always with a heart of gratutude, as I have nothing in myself to be proud of.
No comments:
Post a Comment