Monday, April 20, 2009

A little warning about getting old

I mentioned below that I am uber-exhausted because I upped my weekly running by too much, too fast.
And since this is a "warts and all" kind of blog, where being real is the objective, I will share yet another bump in the road, hoping to save someone else the pain in which I now find myself.

There is this rule for runners which says that we are only supposed to increase our total running exertion by 10% a week or "you invite illness and injury..."

But, back in the 80's and 90's, (in my twenties) I could up my mileage by 20% once in a while with no bad result. So I decided that I would give it a try now that I'm older and wiser.
Not only did I add 15% to each daily run, I added an extra day, going from 4 runs a week to 5. Any observer could have told me that this was pretty stupid.

What Ho! I find that I am no longer a young puppy....six children, twenty some pounds and twenty some more years have taken some kind of toll.

For my long run of the week on Saturday, feeling dead tired and sore before I even started,
I ran for almost an hour.
Then, when I should have stopped, I capped it off with a sprint up the very long hill just a block south of us..... a good uphill climb for about a half mile.

Yesterday in church, I could just barely stay awake and upright on my chair.
I certainly did not run.
Just today, I'm trying to scrape myself off the floor with a spatula, having missed my morning run due to my inability to stand upright or cope emotionally with the task of locating matching socks..

I'll give it another try tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Hey Missy! I see you've read some Mark Twain already, but if you're interested in some more, you can buy his latest book, WHO IS MARK TWAIN?, today. And if it'll help with the whole running thing, you can download the audio book for free and listen to it on the go! http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2009/04/mark-twain-out-loud.html

Audrey said...

I think thats a good idea mom.. (wink wink)