Monday, March 1, 2010

Congratulations, Canada!

Before I get started here, I have to just say that I am not a hockey fan at all.
I like to be able to look away from whatever  game is on TV and get my knitting moving along. But if you look away from the hockey game,  you just missed something.
So, the whole family watched the Olympic hockey game last night, and it was almost enough to make me a hockey fan.  I did however have to rip out the bit of knitting I ruined while knitting during the first session.  
Many years ago, I did love to go and watch the Bruins play at Boston Garden.  But I was younger, not a parent, not a knitter, and Bruins hockey is a more bloody and lawless  game than what I saw last night.  Anyone who has ever been to a Bruins game will understand.

But, about last night, I have to say that  as an American living in Canada, I was really, really cheering for the American hockey team.  
And I really did hope they would win.  That last minute tie was such a beautiful moment for all of us at our house.  Like our entire  house was sort of pulsating.  But still the Canadians won.  And they deserved that win.  
Didn't they all play well!
Both teams.
I am still proud of those American guys, they played like winners and were a worthy opponent for this hockey nation of Canada.  But the Canadians were just a bit better.

And hey, I'm the mother of a Canadian, so we can celebrate for Maggie!

Anyway, by way of an olive branch or something similar,  here below is a short little film Tom Brokaw put together to explain Canada to the average American.  The attitudes expressed in this film are in fact the attitudes of most Americans toward Canadians.  We are neighbors/neighbours, and we should also be friends.  

3 comments:

Lori said...

Wasn't that a fun game?! Weston and I were - not so secretly - rooting for Canada. They were the home team, come on! But I was hoping for a close game, tied right down to the last moment. So I'd have to say, the resulting contest couldn't have been better.
Isn't a bummer, though, when getting second place feels so much like a failure? Certain sports lend themselves more to that sorry illusion than others.

Nancy Wilson said...

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting it. My dad was born in Canada and became a US citizen when he was a boy, and my mother-in-law is Canadian through and through!

Missy said...

So, two very lovely Idaho ladies are here in support of the Canadians. I wonder what the Canadians are thinking.