Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Looky here, I can blog with no internet!







I understand I am due to make some kind of noise here.
I have been away for too long, according to my husband.

Speaking of whom, I'm going to have show Jon how to log in as himself.....he likes to make comments here and on facebook while logged in as me.
I would like to solicit a little reader feedback on this topic.
Should I just be sweet and let this go on, or give him wings to fly as an individual... logged in under his own name?
Anyway, I am here to tell you that I have not been blogging because I have been reading and really gettin' down on the homeschooling effort at our house.
Every parent has moments of acute awareness that something needs to be worked on....right?   We must clean out those drawers, teach them how to compose a proper thank you note, review the finer points of telephone etiquette, tighten up those essay writing skills,  conduct seminars on better flossing technique, work at keeping more elegant looking workbooks, stop losing rulers....and I have decided to crank down on all of it and more, all the while doing an aggressive assault on all my closets.

So, It's Busy in a very good way at my house.

Meanwhile we are without internet. With no hope of internet in our future.
I am not complaining, though.  I am astonishingly relieved.
The increase of productivity occurring  right along with the absence of internet is not coincidental.
The fact is that the lack of internet has been such a gift for us all.  Four of us with internet addictions are now unable to even check e-mail.....hours have opened up in our  day!

And we're using the time very well.

One of the books I am reading is Strayer's Medieval Origins of the Modern State,  which is a study of how the states of Europe were formed during the years between 1200 and 1600.  David is reading this one with me, so maybe he will hijack the blog for a review later.
I will just say that Strayer shows how the conflicts between the various popes & bishops vs the various kings and nobles, along with the Black Plague  and the100 Years War and the increase in numbers of educated individuals in Europe during this time helped form the ideas which are at the root of the modern Western state and some of our ideas of democracy and governmental organization.
So interesting to have many threads of history pulled together for me!  A great book.

I'm also still creeping through Calvin's Institutes....this will take a long time.  Also doing a re-read of Sigrid Undset's book Kristin Lavransdatter, getting in touch with the Scandinavian side of the family.

And at the moment, I am in Starbucks using their internet to pay bills, check mail, and write a blog post.  I don't like writing with Aretha Franklin and a steaming latte machine hissing in the background, and I am signing off now.  Who knows when I'll return?




3 comments:

Lori said...

There is a chance that he would stop commenting if he couldn't do so incognito or under a pseudonym. Not that he has anything to hide - it's just that commenting under your name might be a lot more fun for him!

I love to understand how those threads of history twine together, too. It is one of the things I wrote down on a "What I love" list during a Valentine's Day family activity. Should read that book, then?

Missy said...

Lori,
It's only 100ish pages long. Really well written and packed with information. Yes, you should read it!
We're doing it along with Tapestry of Grace Medieval history. It's part of the hs reading there, and the two support each other really well, kwim?
I am sort of aching for a camping trip in a warm place with yous guys.

Dad24treasures said...

Definitely give him wings to fly by his OWN identity. It's disconcerting to not know for sure if "Missy" is really Missy :{ Jon is wonderful, indeed -- so he should be wise and witty as HIMSELF so we can give credit where credit is due. (Besides, identity theft is, well, not a good thing;)