Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Stroke of Insight

As I am coming to the end of Jill Bolt Taylor's book, My Stroke of Insight, have to say that it is a book that I would almost recommend.
It's far too new-agey and mystical for it to be a book you just MUST read, but her experiences are quite unique, and even more unique is the fact that she has been able to record them.

I wanted to read this book because of my mother's stroke, nearly two years ago now. Dr. Taylor had a different experience in many ways than my mom's. But it is remarkable to see how much healing can occur after such a catastrophic brain event. Every time I am with my mother, I am a bit overwhelmed by this miracle of healing, and I understand Dr. Taylor's progresses and set-backs better because of my mom's experiences . My mom describes , in different terminology many of the changes in worldview and experience of daily life, that Dr. Taylor does.

My frustration with this book was that Dr. Taylor has experienced remarkable healing without a real understanding of the one who heals.
She has a free-flowing and overly generous ecumenical view of myriad spiritual forces which she claims have come into view for her.
This enlightenment came as she feels she was freed up to new and almost unlimited access to the "depths of her brain". So it's an odd melding of science and kooky spirituality.

The thing I take away from this book that might recommend it is the idea that whenever we suffer, and in whatever ways we struggle, if we are responding rightly we will become softer and kinder and more empathetic to the people around us. Even just reading about the obstacles she has overcome, and continues to push against fires me up a bit to take hold of the reins and do the best with all I am given.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

quite interesting. I'm glad you're enjoying your books thus far.

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! I finally took 2 minutes to figure out how to follow your blog. I am coming into the discussion late, but had many of the same "insights" as you did with this book. Had it on my shelf for months and didn't take the time to pick it back up until you inspired me.
I am looking forward to following along and hopefully joining you with some of the readings.
Sending you my love!

Anonymous said...

Yaay Kim!
I'm so glad to see you there.
Mom had told me you were reading that book....which inspired ME to read it.
Circular inspiration, I guess.
Thanks for commenting....