Somebody really nice asked me this morning what I am reading now.
Even though the real list isn't supposed to get going yet,
I am reading Odyssey and Ulysses for book club, as we will begin those in late October. And Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, also a bookclub book.
I have already confessed that I am counting the Odyssey and Ulysses on the 2009 list even though I am starting them way ahead of time.
I won't finish them until 2009, and that makes them count.
It's my blog and I make the rules.
So I am going to break the rest of the reading into bunches of ten. Once each bunch is done, I'll move on the the next. I want to get this bunch done before January 31. So here is the first set, which is ten books and does not included the Odyssey and Ulysses:
Heart of Darkness - Conrad ...............reading with Jon and Michael
A House for Mr. Biswas - Naipaul
Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit - Wodehouse
The Doctrine of Repentance - Watson
Idols for Destruction - Schlossburg......Reading with Jim
Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Truss..... reading with Jess
The Scarlett Letter - Hawthorne....... Reading with Audrey
The Histories - Herodotus........... Reading with David
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Stowe........... Reading with Kathy R.
Also, by January 31, I will read Genesis through Joshua.
On the topic of finding time to read....tomorrow four kids are in dentists chairs at 8am and Maggie and David will be home together, so I will be cozy and all alone in the waiting area with my book. WooHoo!
10 comments:
I'm in for Uncle Tom's Cabin for sure. It sounds like everyone has a great morning planned except for the one's in the chair:(
Which edition of the Odyssey are you using?
Josh are you pointing at Odyssey?
Cool picture!
I almost have a whole family on here this morning. Hi Kathy Josh and Jess.
The dentists office didn't look anyting like the vision in my mind, but I did get some good reading done last night and a little early this AM.
And Josh, I am using the Norton Critical Edition of the Odyssey, Translated and edited by Albert Cook. Does this mean you're joining me for that one? That would be very cool. I am reading it along with Ulysses for my book club.
When I said the dentist office "didn't look like the vision in my mind" what I mean is that during that dreamy half hour I thought I would be reading Salman Rushdie, I was actually in the room with Daniel while his teeth were being cleaned...he was wearing sunglasses and talking about how much he looked like an X-man, and the very patient hygenist could not stop laughing to get the green gel applied to his teeth.
It was a very entertaining morning, but I only read two pages.
I guess I should run a post telling where I am in each of these books.
I have never blogged before, can you tell?
I'm pointing at a copy of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. The best part is that this book store is in an obscure market in Casablanca. When are you starting the Odyssey, Missy?
So, Josh....
I have already started it, but am not very far in. Want to read with me?
I ordered Eats, Shoots and Leaves from the library and when I went to pick it up yesterday...it was a picture book for kids...At first i was totally embarrassed for signing up to read the only childrens book on the list but then Jim told me there is another version of the book...I will try to get the other version...
Funny, Jess.....
Let me know when you get it, and I'll start reading along with you...I think I might read it aloud and edify the whole group here.
Where did you get yours? (E. S. & L) I cant seem to get it.
Post a Comment