Friday, September 26, 2008

The Book List

Here is the Big Hairy Book List for 2009




FICTION


A Handful of Dust – Evelyn Waugh
Howard's End – EM Forster
Canterbury Tales – Chaucer

Catch 22 – Joseph Heller

Under the Net - Iris Murdoch
The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles

A Bend In the River - VS Naipaul
A House for Mr. Biswas VS Naipaul

The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
The Moviegoer- Walker Percy
On the Beach - Neville Shute
Wise Blood - Flannery O’Connor

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiel Hammet
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
As I Lay Dying
- Faulkner
Something Wicked this way Comes - Ray Bradbury
The Catcher In the Rye - JD Salinger
The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
Uncle Tom’s Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

The Brothers Karamazov – Dostoevsky
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
Moby Dick – Herman Melville
My Antonia – Willa Cather
One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Castle – Franz Kafka
The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
Death Comes for the Archbishop – Willa Cather
Beowulf -- Seamus Heany
American Pastoral - Philip Roth
Candide - Voltaire
Tartuffe, The Physician in Spite of Himself - Moliere
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Odyssey - Homer

The Illiad - Homer


NON-FICTION

The Histories - Herodotus
On the Nature of Things - Lucretius
Democracy in America – Alex de Tocqueville
My Stroke of Insight - Jill Bolt Taylor
Leadership and Self Deception- Arbinger Institute
Rising Tide - John Barry
Gandhi and Churchill - Arthur Herman
Liberal Fascism – Jonah Goldberg
Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Truss
A Serrated Edge – Douglas Wilson
Amusing Ourselves to Death - Neil Postman
Envy - Epstein
Path Between the Seas - David McCullough

The Adams-Jefferson Letters - John Adams and Lester J Cappon

Reflections on the Revolution in France - Edmund Burke

George Whitefield - Gledstone
Postmodern Times - Gene E. Veith
The Civil War - Shelby Foot
The History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
A History of My Times - Xenophon


Marriage to a Difficult Man - Elisabeth Dodds
The Ecclesiastical History of the English People - Bede
Ideas and Opinions - Albert Einstein
Planet Narnia - Ward
A Theater of Envy - Rene Girard
The Making of the Atomic Bomb - Richard Rhodes

The Story of Science - Joyce Hakim
Oil and Gas Production in Non Technical Language - Martin Raymond


RELIGION

The Godly Man's Picture - Thomas Watson

Irenicum - Jeremiah Burroughs
The Doctrine of Repentance - Thomas Watson
Against Christianity – Leithart

True Spirituality - Francis Schaeffer
Idols for Destruction – Schlossburg
Jesus and Mohammed - Gabriel
Pilgrim’s Progress – Bunyon
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment – Burroughs
Spurgeon’s Lectures to His Students - C.H. Spurgeon
Secrets of the Koran - Richardson
A Field Guide to Evangelicals - Kilpatrick
Table Talk - Luther
Becoming Conversant with the Emergent Church -- Carson
How to be Free from Bitterness – Jim Wilson

Authority - Martin Lloyd Jones

Christian Culture in a Multicultural Age - Steve Schlissel

The Bible, read throughout the year, Genesis to Revelation

* And for days when the pressure seems too much, there will be ten Wodehouse books.....to be determined later, but evenly spaced through the year.

I should say, for those of you who know I am currently reading Ulysses and the Odyssey for bookclub, I am counting them in the list because:

A. They are Really Impressive titles, and

B. Because I will not finish them until 2009. This is one of the "cheats" I mentioned in my earlier post.

It's only a list of 92 books, and this is because I am leaving spots open for bookclub selections, that will be five or six, and also for any home-school related reading that I have failed to anticipate.

So there it is.
I guess the next thing I have to talk about will be training for that marathon.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Hi Mandi...
so fun for me to have you drop in!
I actually love Moby Dick...like this will be perhaps my 3rd go around with that book.
Thanks for the tip for Beowulf on audio, I will hunt that one up.
I saw that you have "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller..." and I wonder what your opinion of that one is.
It was assigned to me for a writer's class once, and I have never forgotten it.
It's something like "Cloud Atlas" I think.
Enjoy your reading!