So, you know I have this (relatively) newish head of silvery-gray hair.
My hair was dyed brown for 15 years, mostly because I didn't want to have gray hair while I was carrying my own babies around. I was afraid somebody would mistake me for their grandmother. (Hahaha, like that would ever happen.......)
And now, after that ghastly growing out period, it's all gray.
Fine.
So, the other day, I went shopping with The Baby of my Old Age. While we were out, a store clerk, who was trying to sell me a leather bag, turned to Maggie and asked her if she was having a fun day out with her grandma.
.........
I kind of laughed and told her I was 44 when she was born
and that she was MINE.
Poor clerk. She just sort of vanished and I never saw her again.
So, now I am really really glad I dyed my hair all those years.
3 comments:
I can sort of relate to this...my mom was in her 40's when my youngest brother was born. And I was 14. We were in the doctors office shortly after he was born, and I was holding him. Some lady was going on and on, saying to me "how nice is it to have baby's grandma there to help when you have your first baby" and I had to tell her more than 3 times that he was my brother and not mine before she got it. :)
Your sweet mother......I wonder what she said...?
It is an honest mistake, and people will make it again, but I need to find a response that doesn't make them vanish like that.
Maybe just go along with it, and smile.
My silver-haired mom dealt with the "Grandma" comments too. Her least favorite was at the grocery store. My 2 year old sis was in the cart and mom was 41 years old and 8 months pregnant with my brother (and the women in my family get HUGE when pregnant). The clerk made a "Grandma" comment and my mom almost exploded. She couldn't believe the clerk couldn't see that she was pregnant and hated the thought that he just thought she was fat.
By the way, I'm taking my own advice and just letting my own hair gray without coloring it...I'm not even 30 yet and the silver is setting in...
Post a Comment