Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gregory of Tours The History of the Franks

This book was not on the list. But I picked it up because it's medieval history that's being taught and learned hereabouts, and the first two sentences of the preface read

"A great many things keep happening, some of them good, some of them bad. The habitants of different countries keep quarreling fiercely with each other and kings go on losing their temper in the most furious way."

And it sounded so much like our house just before dinner is served, that I decided to go ahead and read the rest of the book.
I was looking for some good informative nuggets about Clovis, Pepin the Short and Charlemagne with which to dazzle my children.
But this history of the Franks does not begin in the AD 400's or so as you might expect.  Because Gregory was a Very Thorough Historian.



And in his thoroughgoing desire to include all who might claim a part in the history of the Franks, he begins his study with Adam and Eve.
And then proceeds through all of biblical history, through the Roman conquest and early church. And that is how far I got last night. I'm 120 pages in, and learning heaps and heaps about faithful saints (most of whom were celibate, even the married ones) and still more heaps about the unfaithful barbarians who tormented them.

I am, at the same time, reading Steven Schlissel's book Christian Culture in a Multicultural Age, and next comes Marriage to a Difficult Man.....Jon wants me to be sure and mention that I have to read this book because I have no experience with this kind of marriage.  
So, that's where I am.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Lol in regards to Jon's comment! I have read that Difficult Man book - years ago - and liked it much. Had to return it to the church library whence I borrowed it, with a note to the librarian to place it in the biography section rather than the "marriage helps" section where I found it. What does that tell you?

missy said...

You are laughing over the comment. And some here are laughing over your laughter.

台中短租套房-夏卡爾 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Tom is a big Edwards fan, and several people have recommended "Marriage to a Difficult Man" to me. You'll have to let me know what you think! :)