Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reading Lucretius Aloud to the Children


Here is something to lighten the tone after the sad post just below.

I'm here in my kitchen, a sink full of dishes ripening beside me, reading aloud from Lucretius's On the Nature of Things.
I am reading this poem aloud to Michael, Helen and Daniel. (If you'd like to read along with us, here is the link).
I was roughly at the line which starts
"And now for thee barbaric robes, and gleam of Melobian purple......"
When I felt the energy of the room turning away from me, and heading toward the rollerblades and the garage door....if you know what I mean.
So, as an act of kindness I stopped reading and my big kids grinned and scooted out the door.
Shock of all time, Daniel turned back with the very eyes of Puss'n Boots in Shreck 2 and begged for more Lucretius.
Who can guess at the mind of a seven year old boy?

No comments: