Sunday, August 23, 2009

Julie and Julia

Jon and I went to see the movie Julie and Julia the other night.
I really love Julia Child, ever since I saw her drop the turkey on the floor on TV and then slap it right back into the pan and cook it, planning to serve it. She's my kind of girl.

But, about the movie. It is definitely a woman's film, and the women in the theater were really howling through most of the film. Jon enjoyed it though, as he is sort of a perfectionist as a chef, and could relate to some of the stress over getting the food just right.

I must say that the most heart-wrenching moment in the movie for me came when Julie was lying on the kitchen floor, wallowing in the misery of public failure. I nearly cried for her. I understood exactly how she must have felt.

I wish I could find a photo of that moment to post here, but there is none available in the places I looked.

One more little running thing.....I have just gotten to the end of the third day after my long run, and I must share that there is a very real "third day effect". The third day is nearly always the most painful, most irritable and most full of regret.

Any of you who have had babies or surgery or fallen out of a tree or swum the English Channel or ridden a donkey to the bottom of the Grand Canyon will know what I mean when I say that the third day after the event is expected to be by far the very most uncomfortable.
How marvelous to be on the other side of it.
I'm running 7 miles tomorrow morning at 6am.

No comments: